November 4, 2009

Tilapia Fish Curry


Boy, was I in the mood to cook fish again after a long time. My palette cannot eat chicken constantly and it tries to give a signal whenever it feels like I am feeding it with too much meat. So I decided to google (as always!) for something different to cook for tonight when I stumbled upon the blog Live To Eat from a blogger named Sig. She has a great food blog with recipes from Kerala and Southern parts of India -- regions known to have the best non-veg dishes, and her great collection of authentic non-veg recipes from these regions make my mouth water each time I open her blog. After pondering for a while, I narrowed down on this Tilapia recipe as it reminded me of a similar recipe that my grandmother made when we were in India -- she used ground coconut instead of coconut milk and omitted bell pepper.

Ingredients:

3 tilapia fillet diced into medium sized pieces
2 medium red onions diced
4 green chillies (if using serrano chillies use 2 big)
4 large garlic cloves diced
1/2 inch ginger diced
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 green bell pepper diced
1 can light coconut milk
1/2 tsp red chilly powder ( adjust according to your spice level)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp tamarind paste (adjust accordingly)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt

Method: Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and saute till transparent. Add ginger, garlic, bell pepper and curry leaves. Saute for 3 more mins. Add the powders. Mix well and fry for 2 more mins. Now add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, salt and tilapia fillet. Mix well. Cover and cook for 8-9 mins. Serve hot with plain white rice and an Indian pickle on the side.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Modern Farming said...

Very nice and informative blog posting. Among all the fish, tilapia fish is Awesome! Tilapia fish farming is very profitable and easy. I like this fish very much for it's unique taste and nutritional value.