July 12, 2010

Chicken Tagine

My friend has collected zillion of books on Home & Garden over the years, and whenever I visit her we both sit together and go through them one by one, making note of recipes or reading about fashion ideas etc. It was one afternoon when she was doing her summer cleaning (I guess!) and trying to get rid of stuff that she no longer wanted. She came across his book on one pot meals and told me that while she thinks the book is  interesting, she doesn't think she will be trying recipes from it anytime soon as her kids are fussy eaters and they prefer rice and vegetables separately. I borrowed it from her as I have also been trying to learn some one-pot meals. I decided on this chicken Tagine dias as I had pretty everything that this dish needed. The dish came out O.K, I wouldn't rate it as one of my favorite recipes but I was happy that it had vegetables to chicken to beans in it. I would definitely try it again.


Chicken thighs + 1 1/2 cup chicken stock + 1 bell pepper diced + 1 onion diced + 1 small eggplant diced + 6 large garlic cloves finely chopped + 1/4 cup garbanzo beans + 1 tbsp tomato paste + 1/4 cup dried apricots + 2 tbsp all purpose flour + salt & pepper + coriander leaves finely chopped + 1 big cinnamon stick + 1 tsp cumin powder.

Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and garlic. Saute for 5 mins. Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 mins. Add cumin and cinnamon. Mix well. Saute for 2 mins. Add flour and mix well. Add eggplant and bell peppers. Saute for 2 mins. Add the tomato paste and chicken stock. Let it boil. Now add garbanzo beans and apricots. Cover and cook till done. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh coriander. Cook for 3 more mins. Enjoy hot!

No comments: