October 31, 2009

Chinese Chicken Sir Fry

This recipe was taught to me by a friend of mine who sits next to me in my Saturday class. While bouncing off food ideas off of each other, she shared with me this recipe that she makes whenever she is in a hurry and still wants to have a healthy wholesome meal. I modified the dish slightly to make it more Indo-Chinese so that it satisfied my chinese cravings that day, and also to make up for some of the missing Indian spices in my pantry.Verdict: My husband loved it and complimented me saying that it tasted like a chinese dish from his favorite restaurant. Wow, that made my day feel good.

Here's the recipe :

1 pound chicken
4 large onions
2 bell peppers
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup spring onions
4 large garlic diced
3 green chillies (depending on your spice level)
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper (fresh from the mill)

Method: Marinade the chicken with diced onions (1), garlic, salt, pepper, green chillies, soy sauce and vinegar and olive oil (1 tbsp). Leave it aside while you cut the rest of the vegetables. Heat a non stick pan, add the chicken with the marinade and fry on medium to high heat for 15 minutes. Add the vegetables and tomato ketchup. Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes. Garnish with spring onions. Eat hot with rice.

Note: You can also use 1 tsp of cornstarch mixed with water to make a thick gravy. If using this, add it at the very end and cook for 2 more mins.

Add raw peanuts for extra flavor.

No comments: