June 30, 2010

Balsamic Vinaigrette

For me, putting together a good salad with a decent dressing is more difficult than making an elaborate Indian meal. The reason being by inability to make a good dressing so far -- I am not one of those who likes her salad with a nice fancy store bought dressing. I feel the fun is in making the dressing from scratch. Also,made this way the dressing is much healthier as it doesn't contain any preservatives, artificial flavors etc. Today I tried Emerill's Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette. Overall I am impressed with this dressing. I added palm sugar as  I like my dressing to be slightly on the sweeter side. My hubby says if you use a high quality balsamic vinegar then you can omit the sugar, as balsamic is sweet enough by itself.

spring mix + red onions + cucumbers + mushrooms + bell peppers + dried cranberries + walnuts + silvered almonds + crumbled blue cheese.

For the dressing:

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar + 1/2 cup (slightly more) extra virgin olive oil + salt + pepper + palm sugar (according to your preference) + 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic. Whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic. Then slowly beat in the olive oil till it blends well into the mixture.

Enjoy!

No comments: